Interacting with young people in real time
Use this pattern when interacting with young people in real time, for example online counselling.
- set expectations of response times up front
- give alternative options in case they need immediate support
To build trust you should provide information on who the young person is speaking to.
Tone of voice
- make them feel unique and not part of a system
- be calm, helpful and positive
- allow them to personalise their experience
- provide clear and relevant signposts to services recommended by Barnardo’s
Would you like some tips on how you can cope with your situation?
- make sure you are compliant with GDPR
- follow the guidance on Gathering information
You can record the conversation for staff and the young person to access.
View interacting with young people research on GitHub.